Photo by Richard Ross
The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) was enacted one decade ago this week, but American children are still being sexually assaulted in adult jails and prisons.
How long will it take to end violence behind bars?
In the last ten years, we have witnessed the invention of the iPhone, the invention of the first cancer vaccine, and the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, but we still have not implemented a law to protect people in custody from rape.
The good news is we can Take Action Now. The PREA regulations issued last year include the Youthful Inmate Standard, which is aimed to protect youth – the population most at risk – from assault behind bars. In April of this year, Congressmen Frank Wolf and Bobby Scott urged the U.S. Attorney General to issue clear guidance to states and localities on the regulation’s Youthful Inmate Standard. Now is the time for you to join them.
Here are four things you can do:
- If you are a state organization or individual, please call or write your Governor telling him or her that you demand he or she implement the Prison Rape Elimination Act in its entirety.
- If you are an individual, sign the petition urging your Governor to implement the Prison Rape Elimination Act in its entirety.
- On Thursday, to mark the passage of the bill in the Senate, share these sample messages over Facebook and Twitter.
- Facebook Posts:
- Ten years ago, the House passed the Prison Rape Elimination Act to end sexual abuse behind bars. Statistics show that youth in adult jails and prisons are significantly more likely than adults to be the victims of sexual violence. Take Action to end sexual violence of kids behind bars: http://ht.ly/n3vyH
- Ten years ago, the House passed the Prison Rape Elimination Act to end sexual abuse behind bars. What else has occurred in the last ten years? The invention of the iPhone, the invasion of Iraq, the invention of first cancer vaccine, the creation of the Department of Homeland Security #Howlongwillittaketoendprisonrape Take Action: http://ht.ly/n3vyH
- Twitter Posts: