Thursday, 9 June 2016
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy says she stands by her decision in the case of Davontae Sanford, the man wrongfully convicted of murder as a teenager.
Posted by Irishgreeneyes at 10:18
Wednesday, 8 June 2016
A Judge has ordered the immediate release of Davontae Sanford, a man who falsely plead guilty to 4 murders at the age of 14. Echoing similarities of HBO’s Making a Murderer Sanford's confession was found to be coerced by authorities. It was also uncovered that perjury occurred by former Detroit Police Deputy Chief James Tolbert who falsely testified that Davontae Sanford drew a diagram of the crime scene in its entirety, including the locations of the victims bodies. When authorities reexamined the case they found hitman Vincent Smothers gave a sworn affidavit claiming he killed the four people slain in a known drug house, including the location of a murder weapon, two weeks after the crime was committed. Smothers is currently serving prison time for eight unrelated murders. Once Sanford is released on bond, all charges will be eventually dropped. An investigation into the actions of the police officers involved is currently underway. Watch as Margaret J. Howell and Nik Zecevic discuss the release of Davontae Sanford on the Lip News.
Posted by Irishgreeneyes at 12:41
Davontae Sanford released from prison after being wrongly convicted of murder at age 14.
Posted by Irishgreeneyes at 12:38
For nine years, Davontae Sanford has been incarcerated for the murder of four people at a Detroit drug house. He was just 14 in September 2007 when police found him in his pajamas near the crime scene, and after two days of interrogations, announced that he had confessed. But on Wednesday, Sanford is expected to walk out of prison a free man. Prosecutors acknowledge the now-23-year-old had known the truth all along: He didn't do it. Related: ACLU Fights For Juveniles Facing Life Without Parole "Justice was not done (initially), but justice was done today," state assistant public defender Valerie Newman told NBC affiliate WDIV on Tuesday, when a Wayne County judge ordered Sanford's release.
Posted by Irishgreeneyes at 10:28
Years after a professional hitman claimed responsibility for the killings, a Detroit man who pleaded guilty to a quadruple homicide at 14 is expected to walk free from prison on Wednesday.
Now 23, Davontae Sanford has been incarcerated since 2007 for the fatal shootings of four people at a Detroit drug den. Pointing to not just the subsequent confession by another man but also crucial flaws made by Sanford’s original lawyer, lawyers and advocates have been claiming his innocence for seven years.
The night of the murders, Sanford conversed with police officers and, according to his attorneys’ brief, was told by cops that “you better tell us what you know”. He was 14 at the time, blind in one eye and developmentally disabled.
Sanford was then transported to a police station, where he gave officers a confession that, his attorneys wrote last year, included “no accurate facts about the killings whatsoever other that the information that his interrogator already knew."
Only two weeks after Sanford was sent to prison, Vincent Smothers, a self-described hitman, confessed to Detroit police investigators that he orchestrated and committed the murders.
Posted by Irishgreeneyes at 09:50